Friday, October 14, 2011

Apparently my accent is wrong....

Yes you read that right, apparently I do not speak proper english...and that is putting aside my speech problem. At first I thought that is what they meant ie that I don't say words properly but nope its all because of my pesky new zealand accent. The tapes and music that they have to accompany their english are spoken by british people so its going to be a lot different to how I pronounce the words as I do not have a british accent I was conversing with my friend Claire just to make sure that it was not a speech problem thing and we said the words the same.

I'm kind of suprised that they are suprised at this. I think they really thought that all english people spoke it the same way...so they want me to learn the vocab I am going to teach for each lesson in the british way...they are going to give me a website to go on where you type in a word and the computer chants it back to in a very british accent

I am kind of bemused of what to do now....Cute moment of the day. Going to one of my schools and having the whole class clamour around me and speaking to me in english with what I had taught them earlier in the week. I also got a hug from one of the girls

I guess I must be more patriotic than I thought seeing as I am kind of annoyed that they think my NZ accent is "a problem"

well at least the kids don't seem to have a problem with it....

1 comment:

  1. I'm American and I had to learn all the British phrases and vocabulary as well. They didn't make me try to do a British accent though! I wouldn't have been able to... I'm not good at accents. But learning the vocabulary was easy enough.

    I wrote a blog post about having to learn the word
    footballer.

    ReplyDelete